Re: X session and hostname changing policy

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 02:21:27 -0700
Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 10:06 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> > Dan Williams wrote:

> > > One example: single-image boots on multiple systems (computer lab,
> > > datacenter, whatever).  You don't want each one to have the same
> > > hostname, so you let DHCP assign a hostname to the machine when
> > > it boots up.
> >
> > I have no doubt that there are use cases for setting the host name
> > via DHCP. I wonder whether those cases are wide spread enough to
> > justify tuning NetworkManager's *default* behavior for them though.
> > Given that NetworkManager is most useful for WiFi and situations
> > where users need to switch networks often a default of not changing
> > the hostname seems sensible to me.
>
> For most people, I'd expect a persistent hostname set though.
> Installers will often do this for you (at least RH and Ubuntu's
> installers do) and thus I'd expect most people won't get their
> hostname changing dynamically.

Well, having the installer do it isn't an option here since Slackware
doesn't ship NetworkManager, but I did the next best thing that came
to mind here:

http://slackbuilds.org/gitweb/?p=slackbuilds.git;a=commit;h=3a608519b69

-RW