prefer one connection over another

I've configured two system connections, one wired and one wireless, to
automatically connect. Both of them work great on their own. The only problem
is when both connections are available (i.e. the ethernet cable is plugged in
and the wireless network is in range) NetworkManager connects to both of them!

I can see how this would be useful in some circumstances, but in my case it's
creating routing and DNS conflicts. How can I instruct NetworkManager to prefer
one connection over the other? For example, how would I tell NetworkManager to
try getting an IP address from the wired network first during startup, and then
attempt the wireless connection only if that fails?