Re: Internet sharing over multiple interfaces

Hi there Dan ;)

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 09:03, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 18:44 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
 > Perhaps i was a little forgetful, when i said LAN, my greatest
> difficulties started with trying tethering via Wireless LAN.
> My mobile phone does this in 4 clicks / touches, including
> installation of the necessary software.
> How many interactions would NM ask of me before this becomes active?

To start sharing your primary internet connection via WiFi, it takes 3
clicks:

Click on the applet
Click on "Create New Wireless Network..."
Fill in the details
Click on "Create..."

that's all?
i'll check if i can finally get this working..

and as long as your driver doesn't suck (they have often sucked in the
past) NM will start up a new Ad-Hoc wifi network, assign your machine a
10.x.x.x address on that wifi net, and start NAT-ing anything that
connects to that wifi net to your primary internet connection.

that's humor ;)
NM will require 3 clicks of me
..additional NAT configuration how many?
..IP configuration how many?

WebOS on my phone didn't even ask for any keyboard input.. Installing "Palm Mobile Hotspot" app from the official Palm repository with 2 clicks or so simply installs a preset configuration that supersedes normal WiFi operation mode while active.

i could imagine an apt:mobile-hotspot in my DE.
i'll keep on wishing ;)

The primary internet connection can be anything, ethernet, 3G, or even
another wifi network if you  have two wifi cards plugged in.

my second wifi card sucks.

Remember,
if you have two ethernet cards, or two wifi cards, make sure to fill in
the "MAC Address" part of the connection editor to ensure that the
connection profile you're creating is only used with that specific
hardware.

i wish NM could handle that for me, if at any point someone writes a tethering wizard for mobile broadband. I believe the use-case is frequent enough to add "create a hotspot" wizard to the wishlist.