Re: Changing Auto-Connect feature

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 05:56 +0200, Frederik Nnaji wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 18:45, Franco Miceli
> <fmiceli plan ceibal edu uy> wrote:
>         Therefore we want to to make some changes to the NM code in
>         order to take into consideration other factors such as: SNR,
>         loss %, etc.
>

> will you considered working on a UI for manually selecting and
> configuring a symbolic visual representation of known APs currently
> within range/sight?
> This would also help with GeoLocation, since it could use "strength"
> to approximate My position by the nearness of a known AP currently
> within sight.

We've thought about strength for a while, but in the end it doesn't work
very well.  There are simply too many things that can affect AP signal
strength to use it as a reliable measure of where you are.  It's better
to use *more than one* AP and triangulate to get better accuracy than
just 100m radius of one AP's known location.  Using only one AP, if
somebody turns on a microwave or uses a 2.4GHz DECT phone, suddenly it
looks like you're 30 meters farther away from the AP than you were 10
seconds ago...