Re: network-manager 0.8.1-beta2 does not work with isc dhcp-clients 3.1.3 and 4.1.1

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 20:24 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> On 30.05.2010 11:38, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i am currently testing the beta2 of network-manager 0.8.1 on my Debian
> > Testing system, which has the isc dhcp3-client 3.1.3 installed by
> > default.
> >
> > The new network-manager seems to use some commandline options for
> > calling the dhcp-client which are not available in version 3.1.3 because
> > i can see the following in the syslog:
> >

> NM 0.8.1 requires ISC dhcp-client with DHCPv6 support enabled.
> The isc-dhcp package from experimental has DHCPv6 support disabled, due to build
> failures in the past, which have been sorted out in 4.1.1.
>
> Hopefully Andrew finds the time to upload a new version with DHCPv6 support
> enabled (I CCed just in case).
>
> Not sure if he still plans to upload isc-dhcp 4.x to unstable so it has a chance
> to get into squeeze.
>
> Of course I would prefer to have a newer dhcp version in Debian (and Ubuntu
> fwiw), on the other hand if NM 0.8.1 could safely fall back to not use dhcpv6 if
> older dhclient versions are detected, it would be even better.

I'll take a patch for that.  If we can autodetect the version of
dhclient at %configure time, lets AC_DEFINE something like
HAVE_DHCLIENT_V4 and if that's not defined, we fail any connection that
requests DHCPv6.  That part isn't hard.  Plus, then we can get the
arguments right when calling dhclient too.  I'd like to fix this as
well.