Re: NM ignoring interfaces

On Friday 02 of July 2010 07:06:44 Mohammed Arafat Kamaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying get NM working on a embedded linux platform. The ethernet
> controller is built on SoC(Its not a separate device). The chip vendor
> provides the drivers as part of the Board support package.
>
> When NM is started it just ignores the interfaces, and doesn't do any more
> operations. From the messages it appears to be a driver issue. Any
> patches/workarounds for this issue?
>
> When I Start NM I get the following message:
>
> NetworkManager: <info>  starting...
> NetworkManager: <info>  Trying to start the modem-manager...
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: init!
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: update_system_hostname
> NetworkManager:    SCPluginIfupdown: management mode: managed
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: devices added (path:
> /sys/devices/virtual/net/eth0, iface: eth0)
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (path:
> /sys/devices/virtual/net/eth0, iface: eth0): no ifupdown configuration
> found.
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: devices added (path:
> /sys/devices/virtual/net/eth1, iface: eth1)
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (path:
> /sys/devices/virtual/net/eth1, iface: eth1): no ifupdown configuration
> found.
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: devices added (path:
> /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo, iface: lo)
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: device added (path:
> /sys/devices/virtual/net/lo, iface: lo): no ifupdown configuration found.
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: end _init.
> NetworkManager: Loaded plugin ifupdown: (C) 2008 Canonical Ltd.  To report
> bugs please use the NetworkManager mailing list.
> NetworkManager: Loaded plugin keyfile: (c) 2007 - 2008 Red Hat, Inc.  To
> report bugs please use the NetworkManager mailing list.
> NetworkManager: <info>  WiFi enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state
> file
> NetworkManager: <info>  WWAN enabled by radio killswitch; enabled by state
> file
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: (5130848) ... get_connections.
> NetworkManager:    SCPlugin-Ifupdown: (5130848) connections count: 0
> NetworkManager: <WARN>  device_creator(): /sys/devices/virtual/net/eth0:
> couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
> NetworkManager: <WARN>  device_creator(): /sys/devices/virtual/net/eth1:
> couldn't determine device driver; ignoring...
> ifup: interface lo already configured
>
> Regards,
> MAK.

The driver is not a real kernel driver and thus is not exposing the device
tree in sysfs. Thus NetworkManager ignores it.
What sort of driver do you use? Are you able to use a kernel driver?

Try to provide more details so that someone can help you.
- what embedded platform do you use?
- what distro? (looks like some debian-based)
- kernel version
- network chip (lspci)
- ls -la /sys/class/net
- etc.