Re: Any insight on this ubuntu bug?

Dan Williams wrote:
On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 15:44 -0500, Tom Sutherland wrote:

Wireless gets disconnected every so often and it appears the only
workaround is to do a "sudo restart network-manager"

It makes sense that this is a crappy firmware/driver issues with
specific Intel cards, but is it possible network-manager isn't coping
well?

I seem to recall a kernel patch for this bug being submitted in the past
week or two.

Basically, it's a driver bug.  I'd be very skeptical of a simple NM
restart fixing this as that doesn't do anything reinitialize or fix the
driver.  An rmmod/modprobe is necessary in situations like that to
re-load the driver and get it talking to the card again.

I just added a comment to the bug pretty much echoing Dan.

That said, I also think there's a possibility that the system calls made by NM and wpa_supplicant during a restart might be sufficient to jog the driver into working again. Just a theory...

Regards,
/tony