Re: 3G USB support for NM 0.7.0

On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 21:44 -0600, Jerone Young wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 19:54 -0500, Keith Smith wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    I am trying to get my Sierra Wireless 598 CDMA USB modem to work.
> > I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) which came preloaded on Dell mini
> > Inspiron 1210 (like a netbook)
> > I cannot (easily) upgrade the kernel or distro due to custom Dell
> > hardware kernel drivers (WiFi driver "wl" is proprietary).
> > I am using dual boot (DOS/XP/Ubuntu) with GRUB 1.0 in the MBR, don't
> > want to upgrade to GRUB2 (comes with Ubuntu 8.10) since I have a
> > working freedos bootable USB drive with GRUB1 for dos installer (just
> > in case).
> > I believe that Ubunutu 9.x fully supports the Sierra Wireless 598 out
> > of the box... cannot upgrade as stated above.
>
> The "wl" driver is actually apart of Ubuntu. We are working to making
> the installation of it seemless in the 10.04 release.
>
> Though what you can do is move to Ubuntu 9.10. Then connect the It via
> ethernet. Then go to System->Hadware Drivers . This will then grab the
> driver from the net and install it. A reboot and your ready to go. You
> can also try this with a live session.
>
> Also this thread may help (comment #6):
>

> The "wl" driver is actually a product of Broadcom, who currently does
> not have a completely open driver. Though work is being done to make it
> easier to deal with.

Sigh.  Or Canonical could put some effort behind the upstream b43 driver
to get N-PHY support completed.  Somebody is actually working on N-PHY
now too, so maybe you guys can just wait and let somebody else do the
work.  While continuing to ship a binary driver that you can't possibly
fix when users have problems with it.

Dan