Re: Re[2]: newbie developer

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 14:58 +0200, alexfilth186 ukr net wrote:
> > alexfilth186 ukr net a ?crit :
> > > Hi, all.
> > > Does network manager has C/C++ API similar to MS Windows
> > > -  create config entry, dial this entry by network manager etc?
> >
> > The recommended (and only?) API for NM is to go through D-BUS
> > IPC. See the archive of this list.
> >
> > You can use C/C++ with D-BUS. But you have the pain of using a low-level
> > language, while waiving compile-time checks because of D-BUS. And I
> > can hardly see any performance critical tasks here.
> >
> > Use another language maybe?

> Thanks for quick reply.
> I shall read d-bus manual, because C++ using is important.

NetworkManager exposes a D-Bus API (which is lightweight IPC) like many
services do these days on Linux.  The wiki pages at:

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager

have a bunch of information about it.  Python is actually the easiest to
use with D-Bus, but you can also use C/C++ if you like.  NM provides a
helper library for GLib-based programs (http://www.gtk.org/features.html
near the bottom in "Foundations") that hides most of the D-Bus
complexity behind an object-based interface, but if you're new to both
D-Bus and GLib that may not be the best approach.

The is more information about C++ bindings for D-Bus available at:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/dbus-c%2B%2B

but the normal C bindings (libdbus) should also obviously work.