Re: realtek 8172 does not work with networkmanager and wpa on ubuntu 9.10

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 14:47 -0600, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 02/11/2010 04:02 PM, vincent guffens wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I have recently bought a thinkpad edge 64 bits with a realtek 8192.
> >
> > lspci reports
> > Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)
> >
> > I have installed ubuntu 9.10 amd64 but Linux does not come with the
> > driver for this card. The driver is available from
> >
> > http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=226&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#2281
> >
> > The driver compiles without problem but I can not connect to my access
> > point when network manager is running. If I disable it, I can manually
> > connect to the access point using the  following wpa.conf
>
> The Realtek vendor drivers can be a major problem. From what I see in your
> wpa_supplicant log, it never got any scan data, which is why NM also failed.

Also the supplicant test used AP_SCAN=2 though, which could affect this.
The nm-supplicant-test is pretty old and probably shouldn't really be
used anymore.

But Vincent, can you get some supplicant debug logs when running NM, as
described here?

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging

under the "Debugging WiFi Connections" section.  Specifically, we're
looking for /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log when you see failures using
NetworkManager.

Note though that this driver is not part of the upstream kernel, and its
quality is highly suspect.  Just because it works manually with
wpa_supplicant doesn't always mean the driver is OK.