Re: ttyACM0, ttyUSB0, usb0 ???

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 21:38 -0200, José Queiroz wrote:
> Em 4 de fevereiro de 2010 20:35, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> escreveu:
> > On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 10:11 -0200, José Queiroz wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I used to use a 3g usb dongle (Sony MD300). The first time I plugged
> >> it, it created a device called "ttyACM0", in a way that I could use
> >> wvdial and use pppd to conect it.
> >>
> >> But after some updates on NetworkManager, it started to show up as
> >> "usb0", and the pppd process was hidden in some way that wvdial could
> >> no more work.
> >
> > The Sony Ericsson MD300/MD400, F3507g, and F3607gw don't normally use
> > PPP.  Instead, they provide a ttyACM0 control channel and a cdc-ether
> > usb0 network device.  The control channel is used to set up the
> > connection, and then DHCP is used on the usb0 network device.
> >
> > Keep in mind that PPP is entirely pointless on 3G networks; the PPP is
> > solely between your computer and the dongle, and it actually slows
> > connections down to the point where you cannot achieve 3.6Mbps or
> > 7.2Mbps HSDPA transfer rates.
>
> Wow, this is interely new for me. "Fiat Lux". kkk.
>

> >> Now I have another dongle (Onda MSA405HS), from another ISP, and when
> >> I plug it, it shows up as "ttyUSB2". I can easily connect using
> >> wvdial, but NetworkManager doesn't works.
> >
> > The ONDA/ZTE device does use PPP since it does not have the capability
> > to bypass PPP and use a network device.
> >
> >> My questions:
> >>
> >> 1) Why did the MD300 changed from "ttyACM0" to "usb0"? Will this be a
> >> rule, in all 3g connections?
> >
> > Not all cards support bypassing PPP.  Only Ericsson and Option cards
> > support it at this time.
> >
> >> 2) Why didn't "ttyUSB2" turned into "usb0", also?
> >
> > Because the ZTE/ONDA device's firmware does not have the capability to
> > bypass PPP.
> >
> >> 3) The MSA405HS have 2 other devices, "ttyUSB0" and "ttyUSB1". Why do
> >> NM chooses to work with "ttyUSB2"?
> >
> > ModemManager automatically detects the modem ports that a device
> > provides, but sometimes the device only handles PPP on one of its ports.
> > Unfortunately we can't always automatically detect that, so ModemManager
> > needs a little help.
> >
> > You may need to update your version of ModemManager to get a new version
> > of the /lib/udev/rules.d/77-mm-zte-port-types.rules file.  If you don't
> > see your device's USB IDs in that file, please tell me:
> >
> > 1) what the USB IDs of your device are
> > 2) what port works for PPP (ie, what you can use with wvdial)
> >
> > and I'll update that file which will make ModemManager use the correct
> > port.
> >

> Yes, they are there (0x19d2:0x0037). And, in fact, ttyUSB2 is the
> right one to use, as is the same one I use with wvdial.
>
> But, still, NM doesn't connects it.

In this case, please stop NetworkManager and run it like so:

NM_PPP_DEBUG=1 /usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon

and then try to reproduce the problem, and send along the NetworkManager
output.

> >> 4) How can I configure NM to give me more information, said, activate
> >> debug messages right from boot?
> >
> > Run it with --no-daemon.  Or just look in /var/log/messages
> > or /var/log/daemon.log, depending on your distribution.
> >

> Kubuntu 9.10,
> NM 0.8~rc2-0ubuntu2~nmt3~karmic,
> KDE nm-applet 0.9~svn1040607-0ubuntu1~karmic1~ppa1.
>
> I dream of being able to debug just 3G connections, without messing
> with wireless. :)
>
> So I could fix this 3G connection, without getting offline in the meantime.

> OFF-Topic:
>
> Is it too hard to configure the list server, so our messages get
> replied automaticaly back to <networkmanager-list gnome org> ??? I
> lost the account of times I sent answers in pvt just because I forgot
> to change the address of the reply...

Perhaps your mail client doesn't have a "Reply to All" button?  At least
Thunderbird, Evolution, and Apple Mail do, and that's what people should
be using to reply to the entire list.