manually configured interfaces ?

Hello,

I'd like to retain network-manager for my wifi and 3G connections but dedicate the wired connection to a static connection, dedicated private subnet. From reading various doc's I understood that including configuration in /etc/networking/interfaces would be sufficient for network-manager to leave it alone, but after working for a bit it disappears. Is there some other config needed to make it manual ?

Using Ubuntu 10.10, standard network-manager package from repos, 0.8.1

Thanks.

				... Niall