Re: Manage NM connections manually...

On 07/31/2010 10:03 AM, George wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I'm developing a kind of test software and now I need to deal with
> network. I have to enumerate wireless devices (done), create connection
> using them, activate it, ... , close it, delete it. I can't use NM
> system settings service due to it needs to have root password and it's
> very undesirable. I tried to add connection directly thru gconf database
> and nm-applet starts to see new connection but if any secrets will be
> needed or or previously supplied secrets became /obsolete/ nm-applet
> shows own dialogs and this is also unacceptable because my program has
> custom fullscreen interface. If connection cant be established user
> should learn it from me not from nm-applet :) So  the only way I see is
> to implement NM user setting service and do whatever I want even it
> doesn't seem to be easy task (but We have working example (nm-applet)) .
> But there's another issue I see:
> AFAIK the only one setting service can be registered at a time, so when
> my program will start I'll have to stop nm-applet process and on exit
> I'll have to start nm-applet again. I dont like that there's possibility
> that after my program nm-applet will not run (crash in my program or
> whatever).

Yep, these are all problems that the current architecture has. We are
working on putting more fine-grained security mechanisms on system
settings so as to (hopefully) address these issues:
http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/RemovingUserSettings

In the meantime, your best bet probably is to make the app be a user
settings service, as you've suggested. That will indeed mean that
nm-applet won't be able to run. I don't know of a way to work around
that, and yeah, that will suck. All I can say is that we hope to fix
that. :)

Good luck!

Have a good one,