Re: iwconfig and interesting problem

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 15:30 +0430, Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh wrote:
> But When i use this key in network-manager's interface i can connect to
> the internet.

What kind of key are you choosing in NetworkManager?  Hex/ASCII?  Or
Passphrase?  If you're choosing passphrase (which you probably are since
NM enforces the limits on Hex & ASCII) then the passphrase you use goes
through a semi-standard hashing scheme to determine the actual WEP key
that's used:

1) repeat the given key (googooli) over 64 characters
2) MD5 that buffer into a 16-byte hash
3) the first 13 bytes of that 16-bit hash are the actual WEP key

Since this method was never actually standardized, iwconfig does not do
this for you.  Nor does wpa_supplicant actually.

Dan