Re: RS232 GSM Modem

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 09:53 +0200, toabctl wrote:

> 2010/4/28 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
>         On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 09:37 +0200, toabctl wrote:
>         > 1) How does network-manager detect that the modem is
>         connected? Or how
>         > can i tell networkmanager on which port the modem is
>         attached? I use a
>         > rs232<->usb adapter so the port is /dev/ttyUSB0 .
>

>         ModemManager uses udev for device detection.  It listens for
>         udev events
>         (which you can also listen for with udevmonitor) and when it
>         receives a
>         notification of a new serial port, it will inspect that port
>         and attempt
>         to probe it.
>
> How does ModemManager probe the port? I want to use modem manager also
> with a rs232 device and there are no uevents because rs232 has no
> hotplug. but i could emit a uevent "by hand".

At the moment we don't probe platform devices for a few reasons, one
that (a) the code isn't there, and (b) older devices like those
connected to platform serial ports on normal PCs often get upset
precisely because they are older and either aren't modems, or aren't
standards compliant in any way.

But check out this commit:

commit 1864d8da0766e615c37a13f30bcacb72d381aa69