Re: keyfile plugin initialization and wireless at boot

On 04/18/2010 10:34 AM, Brian DeRocher wrote:
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get my wireless interface to connect at boot. With
nm-applet "Available to all users" is not enabled and i don't understand
why. This is a Debian unstable system with both PolicyKit and polkit
installed.

Deciding to skip Dbus / Polkit and all that mess, i though i could place
a wireless configuration in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ and
it would be loaded at boot. Some of the forums like Ubuntu and ArchLinux
have suggested this. I tried to follow the settings spec[1] but i'm not
sure i got it right. Using strace ./NetworkManager --no-daemon, i see
this system-connections folder is never read!

Hmm, weird, this all works fine for me on Ubuntu.

Well ... I want to get comfy with this code anyway, so let's see what I can figure out.

I'm guessing there's a good chance you've checked this already, but just to be sure:

- Are you sure the keyfile plugin is indeed enabled in
   /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
  or, if that doesn't exist, in
   /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf ?

- You mention compiling N-M from source -- maybe that means you've
  ended up with a N-M that reads config info from
  /usr/local/etc/NetworkManger/ rather than /etc/NetworkManager/ ?
  (Passing --sysconfdir=/etc to ./configure fixes this.)

NM just hangs here after entering state 3.

Do you mean to say that N-M has actually become unresponsive to D-Bus calls and the like, or are you just referring to the fact that N-M is not doing anything? It is normal for N-M to be idle if it doesn't see any connections to activate (which appears to be our problem). Try nm-tool, that's a good smoke-test.

The N-M output you posted, that's not the full output, right? A full, unabbrevated log would be most helpful for figuring out what's up.

Good luck!

Later,
Daniel