Re: is there any way to get NM to store WEP keys without using a keyring?

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 15:38 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Am trying to get a set of laptops preconfigured for various wifi
> networks and WEP keys. I've set the laptops to autologin, but now
> gnome's keyring is prompting for a password every time, which rather
> defeats the purpose; it also means that an unattended or remote reboot
> will not come back online. How can I get NM to treat WEP keys as
> "world-readable" on this computer?

You're probably looking for "system connections":

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings

which are stored not in the user's gconf/keyring, but in your distros
normal network configuration files (or via 'keyfiles').  You could also
do this with gconf/gnome-keyring, but I don't think that's quite what
you want.

So create the connection you want in nm-connection-editor, then click
the "Available to all users" button and hit Apply. It's now a system
connection, and where it's stored depends on what plugins you have
enabled in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf.