Re: gobbledegook in iwconfig after NM disconnect

On Sun, 2010-04-11 at 05:20 +0100, Richard Neill wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Not sure if this is a bug, but if I disconnect a wireless interface from
> network manager, the result of iwconfig's ESSID becomes gibberish.
> I have no idea where the value of
>
> \x90\xEF\xFD\xA5+ dUB5\xAB3q8\xE2\xCF\xDC\x8Db+\xA3\x9F\x1D\xAA1\x82\xA4\xFA\xDCZsl
> comes from, or what it means!

The Linux Wireless Extensions API (the older API that programs use to
control wifi) doesn't have a clean way to say "Disconnect and stop doing
anything until I tell you."  This random SSID is done by wpa_supplicant
when disconnecting from the network to ensure that the driver/firmware
does not attempt to automatically connect to anything else until it's
told to do so.  It's not anything that NM is doing, and it's normal.

The new kernel wireless API (cfg80211) has fixed this problem by
properly including a "disassociate" command that idles the device.

If you've told NM (or the card) to disconnect, you probably did mean for
it to disconnect.  Without this random SSID the card (depending on the
driver or firmware) may well attempt to connect to some SSID that you
didn't want it to.

Dan