Re: NetworkManager 0.7.1 failing with university's WPA2-Enterprise wifi

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 08:50:15 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
 > On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 17:38 +0200, l    phuk ath cx wrote:
 > > Jud Craft wrote:
 > > > In the past (back at college) I'd just ignore this and go back to
 > > > Windows.  But I really want it to work -- there's no reason why it
 > > > shouldn't.  Are there any pointers or anything I could have missed?
 > >
 > > There's definitely some breakage in that area in NetworkManager. I use
 > > eduroam all the time (with WPA-EAP). It works flawlessly with just
 > > wpa_supplicant, but NetworkManager never managed to get the auth done.
 >
 > It has worked in the past; we need to find out what's going wrong if
 > it's not working here.  Any chance you can give NM a try and kick the
 > supplicant to spit out debugging info?
 >
 > Edit /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant.service
 > and add "-dddt" to the end of the Exec= line in that file, then "killall -TERM
 > wpa_supplicant", then try to connect.  Then grab /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log
 > for me.

An acquaintance of mine has experienced the exact same issue with "eduroam"
wifi, with occasional success.  I've asked him to apply your debug instructions
to wpa_supplicant.

I've attached his logs. A quick examination shows there are 10 attempts at
connecting, 8 of them contain the error,

   SSL: SSL_connect:SSLv3 write client hello A
   SSL: (where=0x1002 ret=0xffffffff)
   SSL: SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server hello A
   SSL: SSL_connect - want more data

His version of wpa_supplicant is 0.6.6-2ubuntu1; however 0.6.9-3ubuntu1 is
available upstream. I'm going to have him upgrade to that and test again.

FWIW, both versions are linked against OpenSSL 0.9.8g

Thanks.

-Adam