Re: nm-applet crashes silently, brings network connection down with it

On Tue, 2009-09-22 at 17:31 +0200, Natanael wrote:
> As the title says - nm-applet crashes silently, brings network
> connection down with it.
> I hate it, because I have to restart nm-applet manually every time.
> How can I fix it? How can I figure out what's causing it?

You can usually find out more details in the ~/.xsession-errors file, or
something like bug-buddy or abrt if your distro ships that.

Failing that, you can always debug it manually, which is actually *much*
more helpful output that ~/.xsession-errors.

1) install gdb
2) killall -TERM nm-applet
3) gdb /usr/bin/nm-applet
4) at the (gdb) prompt, type "run" and hit return
5) carry on as normal until the applet crashes; since you're debugging
it your connection won't die immediately, but in gdb you'll be back at
the (gdb) prompt with a message that says something like "nm-applet
received signal SIGSEGV"
6) at that point, you can type "backtrace" to get a trace of where the
applet died.  Copy & paste that into a reply so we can help debug the
issue
7) back at the gdb prompt, type "quit" to get out of the debugger, and
say "yes" when it asks if you'd like to quit.