Reopen VPN on connection status changes?

Hi,

I use OpenVPN with NetworkManager, with the VPN connection being the
default route.

Whenever connection status changes in such a way that NetworkManager
would change the default route when no VPN is used – e.g. a mobile
connection was active, but a WLAN or Ethernet interface became active
– I’d like NetworkManager to reopen the VPN connection, so that it
would use the better network route.

When the better network connection disappears (and the VPN was using
that connection), but there’s still an alternative connection,
currently OpenVPN just dies. I’d like NetworkManager to restart it in
that case as well.

In fact, I’d like NetworkManager to try to keep the VPN connection
active no matter what. If OpenVPN dies for any reason – network
problems, server problems, no active network connections temporarily
etc. – NetworkManager should try to restart it.

Is there a way to do that already, or should I file a bug report?
Thanks for the help!

I’m using the Ubuntu karmic network-manager package; it’s based on the
2009-09-11 git snapshot 4c77fa0.

Regards,
--
Jοhan Kiviniemi  http://johan.kiviniemi.name/