Re: Annoying NetworkManager "feature"

On Thursday 10 September 2009 16:59:29 Dan Williams wrote:
> > As far as setting "only use this connection for resources on its
> > network", I did have this work "at one time" but now seems to be
> > consistently failing to set ... I can edit the device connection, check
> > the box, and then save/apply this change.  However, when I re-edit that
> > device, the box is no longer checked?
>
> Hmm, you seem to be using an older version of NetworkManager... what
> specific version do you have?

I have x86_64 F12alpha installed as another qemu-kvm guest and I re-ran my
test.

My default NIC on this system is the regular qemu NAT NIC (192.168.122.0/24)
which comes up as eth1.  First, I updated this system to make sure it had the
latest NetworkManager:
NetworkManager.x86_64        1:0.7.996-1.git20090826.fc12

Then I shut the system down and added a second NIC on a qemu private (not
NATed or routed) network (192.168.217.0/24) which comes up as eth2.  After
booting, NM brought up both System eth1 and Auto eth2 networks up ... eth2 was
first and then eth1 so routing was correct.

Using system-config-network I added the "System eth2" definition.  Then I
selected System eth2 rather than Auto eth2 from the NM-applet ... OK.  I then
restarted NetworkManager ... Auto eth2 disappears and I have System eth1 and
System eth2 ... again eth2 is started first and eth1 last so routing is
correct.

I then edit the NM configuration from the applet and set (check) "only use this
connection for resources on its network". After saving/applying everything, I
again restart NM ... both networks come up with eth1 last so routing is still
correct.  However, when I go to see of the box I checked was still checked, I
found it was not.

I have no idea what determines to order used to bring up interfaces.

Gene