Re: NetworkManager ignores virtual tap0 device

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 12:27 -0400, Yclept Nemo wrote:
> The tap0 device is created by openvpn but not pushed any network
> details - openvpn expects a dhcp client to lease an IP.

At the moment, NetworkManager only handles physical network interfaces.
It does have support for tap/tun devices, but only when using the
NetworkManager VPN plugins.  I don't think NetworkManager-openvpn has
support for DHCP yet, though we could enhance it to do so.

> When NetworkManager sees the device:
> Sep  9 11:41:09 cinnabar nm-system-settings: Added default wired
> connection 'Auto tap0'
> for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/net_de_c1_d5_98_e6_52

That is an error in NetworkManager; what Linux distribution are you
using?

Dan