Re: Custom settings for wlan interfaces

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 16:02 +0200, Sven Nielsen wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> What is the preferred way / .conf file to set custom parameters for a
> wlan interface when it is brought up by NetworkManager?
>
> I want to set txrate, rts and frag to fixed values on a specific wlan
> interface when it comes up.

At this time, we do have configuration available for those, but
NetworkManager does not set them as they were (a) inconsitently
implemented in drivers, and (b) obsolete since they use WEXT.  I'd
actually suggest doing this from a dispatcher script for now (man
NetworkManager for the details).

TX rate locking is usually a red-herring since the driver pretty much
depends on changing the TX rate to maintain connectivity when you move
around.  If the TX rate is fluctuating wildly and isn't correct, that
should be addressed with fixes at the driver level, not by trying to
lock the TX rate.  That would most likely just make your connection even
worse.