Re: Supporting dynamic dns updating of hostname

Gene Czarcinski a écrit :

> One of the things that can be done if you run a dhcp service and a dns
> service is that you can dynamically update the dns (named) for your
> hostname with the ip address assigned by dhcpd.

By the way DNS was not really designed to be "dynamic". On an actually
dynamic local area network I find that using multicast DNS instead
(i.e., the ".local" domain) gives much better results. Moreover you
do not need any DNS server at all.

Fedora                 : yum install nss-mdns
Debian (Ubuntu, etc.)  : apt-get install libnss-mdns
Windows                : Install Apple's "Bonjour"
Mac OS X               : built-in

Cheers,

Marc