NM PPP support.

Hi all,
   I want to use NM connect to a DSL network(Have username and password). It seems NM need depend on some module to work. I need some help to make NM work correct:
1. Kernel have to support PPP?
  I compile my own kernel. The version is 2.6.29. If need kernel support, which configuration I need set.

2. Also need pppd package? Which version I need use? I use NM0.7.0
  From http://ppp.samba.org/ftp/ppp/ website, the newest version is 2.4.4 upload on 2006. Too old? Is it official site of PPP?

3. Does NM has ability detect the PPP protocol?
  When click on the "Auto ethernet", the "username&password" dialog can pop up automatically? That's mean I do not need create a DSL connection using nm-connection-editor manually.

I am not familiar with ppp. Hope you can help me.

Thank in advance!