Re: Installation of git into home directory

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 04:01:44PM +0200, Markus Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to have the distribution NetworkManager in the usual places on the disc and at the same time have a git NetworkManager in my home directory installed. (And the same for nm-applet.)
>
> I was trying:
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/mab/install/usr --sysconfdir=/home/mab/install/etc --localstatedir=/home/mab/install/var
>
> and
>
> ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/mab/install/usr --sysconfdir=/home/mab/install/etc --localstatedir=/home/mab/install/var --libdir=/home/mab/install/lib
>
> Both times it tries to install something into /lib:
> /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/lib/udev/rules.d/77-nm-olpc-mesh.rules': Permission denied

yes, thats kind of a biuld system bugs. i usually just run make
install as root even though i install in my home as the few files not
properly honouring --prefix are close enough if you hvae a recent
netowrk-manager package.

> Isn't this the supposed in-home-directory procedure? Or is $(LIBDIR) missing somewhere in the scripts?

Arguably those udev rules need to go where they currently go to become
effective ... however, its not right to not honour the --prefix for
those, so yes. its a bug imo.

 - Alexander