Re: text output from NetworkManager ?

Alexander Sack wrote:
On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 02:17:38PM +0200, Borge Kile Gjelsten wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use NetworkManager to dump info on the signal strength
(32%, 47%, etc.) into a text file at e.g. every 5 seconds, or some similar
approach which would help me test the wireless network at various
positions in a big office landscape.
I thought this might be doable from a terminal, but have found no way
so far.

In principle I can of course get this information by moving the cursor
over the NetworkManager icon on my panel and read by eye.
This is however somewhat impractical.

If what I seek is not possible with NetworkManager, is there some other
tool which allows me to monitor a wireless signal as a function of time?

(I am using Ubuntu 9.04.)

You could use dbus directly, but if you want this only for your own
use  processing nm-tool output sounds easier. I don't think that
nm-tool output changed from 0.7.x to 0.8, so this seems to get the
strength of the current active AP(s) for me:

  nm-tool | grep ^.*\ \\* | sed -e 's/.*Strength \([0-9]*\).*$/\1/'

.. of course, that's nothing you should put into real software; use
dbus for that :)

 - Alexander

Thanks, nm-tool does nearly all that I want.
However, only the active AP is updated on every issue of the command.
The other APs are updated every second minute only.
I wonder if there is some way to get also these updated
on every issue of the command.
Or is this where I should turn to dbus instead? BKG