NM 0.7.996 - Karmic, static IP not setting

Hi,

NM 0.7.996 on Ubuntu Karmic. I attempt to use the nm-connection editor to create a new static interface - remove the connect automatically the from the default Auto Eth0. I put in the static configuration, click apply - I'm prompted with an authentication screen. After I enter the password, the authentication dialogue closes along with the nm-connection editor screen and the connection I created reverts to the default DHCP profile.

I also have an active Wireless connection as well, which seems to re-associate with the access point when this happens. It seems no configurations can be made to the connections to any of my connections - for connections that where pre-existing to the karmic install, I'm not prompted for a password but neither are the changes taken.

Maybe I should dump my network manager configuration entirely? And recreate the connections, or is this a known issue?

thanks
Daniel