Re: Route configuration

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 17:58 +0100, Benoit Boissinot wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> First thanks for network-manager, I've been using it for a long time
> and just began to use it's openvpn plugin, it's really nice!
>
> I have a small feature request regarding the custom routing option.
> Currently you can easily direct direct a subnetwork to a connection
> (the "use this connection only for ressources on its network"
> checkbox).
> But if you want something more complex (e.g. the vpn has a private IP
> (192.68.0.X), but you want to direct all traffic to the site through
> the vpn, not just 192.168.0.0/24, but a global ipv4 prefix) it won't
> work and you have to add custom routes.
> But custom routes are not automagic at all, for example the gateway
> must be static, it means that if the routeur ip changes, you have to
> update the route, etc.
>
> I guess most people uses that setting to route a subnetwork to the
> gateway provided by the connection, so wouldn't it be better to have
> an UI to facilitate it?
>
> eg:
> Use this connection for ressources on the following network (and a way
> to input a network, only address+netmask or address/prefix, no metric
> needed)

I may not exactly understand, but maybe we could repurpose a blank
gateway to mean the connection's current gateway if any.  Then you leave
"Use this connection only for resources on its network" *un* checked,
and you enter in your 192.168.0.0/24 route and you'd end up with
something like this in your routing table:

192.168.0.0   <vpn gw>   255.255.0.0   U     0      0        0 tun0

Maybe?