[BUG] input field for PUK gives only 4 characters, but 8 are needed

Dear NetworkManager hackers,

somehow the PIN for my SIM card was locked and the dialog popped up to
enter the PUK code. (But the field said PIN: ____.)

$ grep -i puk /var/log/daemon.log
xxx NetworkManager: <info>  (ttyHS0): GSM puk secret required

The PUK code is eight characters long but I only could enter four. The
workaround was to put the SIM into a mobile phone and unlock it there.

This has been already reported [1][2][3][4]. Is that a known problem and
should I open a new ticket in GNOME Bugzilla?

Thanks,

Paul

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/network-manager-applet/+bug/318265
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=962325