Re: Moving ppp-manager into ModemManager

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 10:11 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 May 2009 00:19:01 Dan Williams wrote:
> > Yeah, PPP code is icky.  But just like dhclient, it doesn't need
> > rewriting.  There are certainly more worthwhile things to spend time on.
> > It's got a responsive upstream who accepts patches, why not fix the
> > specific issues you have and upstream the patches.
>
> If that's the case, why do plently of distros have quite invasive patches to
> dhclient? The latest fedora SRPM has no less than 20 patches and a fully
> cutomised dhclient-script (ok, the script isn't needed for NM). I also know
> that Gentoo ships quite a few patches as well. What's more, some distributions
> have different options on the same command line switch which makes things even
> more difficult.

I meant pppd upstream is more responsive now.  dhcp upstream is not as
responsive.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that dhclient needs to be
rewritten from scratch at this time, if people really dislike dhclient
they should use some other client like dhcpcd :)  There are enough DHCP
clients to go around these days.

Dan