Re: pessimistic NetworkManager and off-line mode (was: Diskless clients and NetworkManager)

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 05:25:27PM +0100, Marc Herbert wrote:
> 3) NM could simply lean towards the optimistic side and report
> connectivity as soon as in doubt. Maybe NM should trigger off-line modes
> ONLY when it is 200% sure that it OWNS EVERY single interface in the
> system and is positively sure they are ALL absolutely out of order.

This is kind of what we hacked in ubuntu to get rid of nasty offline
behaviour.

However, the ubuntu hack is hacky and could be improved in various
way; anyway, this was discussed before and from what i understand Dan
does not want NM to guess online if a connection is not managed by
NetworkManager.

 - Alexander