Re: Mobile broadband statistics

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 15:46 -0700, Jonathan Petersson wrote:
> If you look at /proc/net/dev once connected there's counters available
> showing how much data that has been transferred, I believe this
> counter will reset each time the interface is disconnected from your
> computer.
>
> Your best choice is probably to write a script that counts the data
> from /proc/net/dev when connected and summarizes this.

NetworkManager actually emits D-Bus signals that show the total amount
of traffic used in a session at the PPP level, but nothing is currently
listening to it.

The plan had been to have the applet listen to NM signals of traffic,
and accumulate the totals in GConf for the connection until the user
manually reset the value through the connection editor, or until a
specific user-specified date passed.  Additionally, there would be some
sort of entry for a data limit, and the applet would warn you the closer
you got to that limit, maybe at 95%, 97%, and 99%, etc.

If anyone wants to do that patch, it's all in the applet (except for
'hso' devices which would need a bit of NM support but that's pretty
easy), and I'm happy to explain in more detail what to do.

Dan