NetworkManager and RunLevel 3

I addressed this question to the NetworkManager list and received a
couple of replies that I found to be quite educational. The topic
appears on this list occasionally, so I thought it worthwhile to re-
post here.

The essence of what I discovered is that its not NetworkManager but nm-
applet, which is a separate package, albeit from the same source. There
is an analogous program available for RL 3.

Here's the thread.

On 03/17/2009 10:45:51 AM, Michael Biebl wrote:
Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff hughes net>
> wrote:
>> Every so often on the Fedora list, there's a question about running
>> NetworkManager on Fedora 10 at RunLevel 3, that is where there's no
>> windows or desktop running. It's generally acknowledged that at
>> RunLevel 5 NetworkManager runs like a champ. Furthermore,
>> it seems that
>> the problem is mostly (always?) where the system relies on a
>> wireless
>> connection to a router. So, with all of that in mind, I thought I'd
>> ask
>> here and will re-post a summary of replies on the Fedora list.
>
> While I'm not a Fedora user, NM should work just fine from any level.
> There are two prerequisites however:
>
> 1) You need to make sure all the required services are up (hal, dbus)
>
> 2) You need some sort of connection provided by:
>
> 2.1) An NM client
>
> 2.2) A system connection
>
> While 2.1 is currently not possible without using X (there are only 2

There is a project called cnetworkmanager [1], which afaics tries to
fill exactly this gap

[1] http://vidner.net/martin/software/cnetworkmanager/