AW: Re: dnsmasq-base does work for connection sharing

Hi all

>> On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 09:30 +0900, Jacobs Shannon wrote:
>> > I now realize that I
>> > didn't do quite enough testing to pin it to the DNS, but
>> > I'll check with an external IP address the
>> > next time I see it...

I ran into a DNS-related problem with dnsmasq (once i had discovered in syslog that NM complained about not finding
the dnsmasq binary, so I installed dnsmasq-base). It returned a REFUSED status code upon a client's query. Via Google I
found a post in the dnsmasq-discuss list that said:

| The only circumstance in which dnsmasq will generate a REFUSED reply is
| when it has no upstream server available to forward a query to, but it's
| worth bearing in mind that if dnsmasq _does_ forward the a query, then
| the upstream nameserver could also return a REFUSED reply, and dnsmasq
| would send that back to the original requester.

And then I realised what had happened: The client had obtained an IP address and issued a DNS request before my
mobile broadband connection was up and the sharing computer had learnt about the ISPs DNSs via PPP. So making sure that
the to-be-shared link is "up and running" before bringing up the sharing Ethernet or WLAN profile should help.

>Right now I'm mostly impressed with it, but I'm thinking about
>experimenting with the wireless side of it for ad hoc wireless
>networking to two of my machines instead of going through the hub.

Works. Define a new ad-hoc WLAN profile, set WEP parameters as needed.  Bring up the "upstream" link first, then
"Create new wireless network" from nm-applets menu and select your previously created ad-hoc profile. AFAIK, NM
currently has no built-in way to run a WLAN NIC in "master" mode to create an AccessPoint/Infrastructure network, so
we're stuck with ad-hoc for the time being.

regards

Marc