Re: Fw: DBus interface clarification part2

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 18:50 -0700, Kevron Rees wrote:
> > > that the connection you want to activate has been connected to in the past.
> > Am
> > > I correct on this?  You basically have to get the connection object from the
> > > org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings ListConnections() method.  From that
> > > list, you have to find the specific connection to use.  You do so by looking
> > in
> > > that path and the org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.Connection interface
> > > using the "GetSettings()" method.

> > connect
> > > to it via dbus?  Wouldn't a simpler:

> > > I responded on Saturday:
> > >
> > > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2009-March/msg00082.html
> > >
> > > Let me know if you have any further questions!
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> Thanks Dan!  I didn't see the reply on Saturday.  My mistake.  Your example is
> very helpful.  Is it possible to use a blank path ("/") as the connection if
> this is a new connection and no settings are available yet?

Not quite.  *Every* call to Activate requires a connection in the
settings service.  If you don't have a connection defined, a number of
things won't work or get ugly, since there's no overall tracking object
associated with that request.  The Connection provides the
human-readable name for that request like "Home" or "Work", plus a UUID
that other processes can use to perform actions when the connection
succeeds or fails.  The normal process of connecting to a new AP would
usually be to create a connection for that AP in the settings service,
then request that NM activate the newly created connection.