Re: Managing interface with random MAC address

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 01:25 -0700, Russ Dill wrote:
>> I have an embedded device known as a beagle board that draws power
>> from my USB port (shows up as usb0). When it boots, it presents itself
>> as a USB ethernet device. I want to share my connection with the
>> device from network manager.
>>
>> Two problems: The first is that network manager sees an unmanaged
>> device and tries to obtain an IP address, the second, I can't seem to
>> setup an automatic share my connection connection since every time the
>> board boots, it has a different hardware address. Any tips?
>
> What is the USB serial number of the device?  The core problem here is
> that if there's no unique identifier for the device, there's no way to
> lock a specific connection to that device, and thus any generic Wired
> connection will be used instead.
>
> Run "lsusb -v" and look for the iSerial field; is that field something
> other than 0?  Do other beagle boards present other serial numbers?

The serial number is zero. The unique identifier is that its usb0.

> Do you want to keep the wired device unmanaged and ignored by
> NetworkManager?  You said "sees an unmanaged device and tries to obtain
> an IP address", but NM should be ignoring unmanaged devices.  However,
> that mechanism depends on HAL UDIs and thus the random MAC address may
> well be confusing it.

I may have got my managed/unmanaged terminology confused. Right now,
NetworkManager handles all devices not listed int
/etc/network/interfaces. I have two wired devices, one is my permanent
eth0. eth0 I want nm to manage. The other is the beagle board.