Re: Patch to support drivers compiled into the kernel

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 18:48, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 18:38 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:

>> > Hmm, I'd like to see what sysfs looks like for these devices; do you
>> > have a /sys/class/net/ethX/device directory for that device, and if so,
>> > what's in it?
>>
>> There should be no difference, maybe some "module" link does not exist
>> if it's built-in, but usually even they are created.
>>
>> These days, even /sys/module/ should be identical for modules and
>> built-in code, besides the "refcount" and the sections "attributes"
>> which only exist for loadable modules.
>
> Yeah; it used to be the case that drivers wouldn't call the right bits
> to get the device link which would then provide the driver.

Right, the driver should be determined by finding the first parent
device which has a "driver" link. The "device" link should not be used
for anything else than finding the parent device in ancient kernels.
In modern kernels, all parent devices are part of the devpath of the
device itself. The position of the device link might change with valid
kernel changes, when devices need to be inserted into the chain of
devices.

> I'm not
> convinced the patch is the right way to go until we figure out if the
> driver is the culprit.

Yeah, the patch does not look right. I would expect the driver does
not set the right parent device at all.

Kay