Re: starting up with network manager

On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 17:21 +0530, Harshath JR wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> I've been using ubuntu for a long time, and I never had to worry about
> how my network configuration.
> I think that the fact that I never had to know about NetworkManager is
> a great success about it.
>
> I'd like somebody to guide me through the network manager's working..
> I read about it using "HAL and dbus" (I don't even know what that
> means :P).
>
> What I'd like to do is, uninstall network manager from my computer,
> download the source code and build it for myself. Later, possibly I'll
> do some coding/bug fixing for it.

The method for building on specific distros varies, but normally you
just need to know what the development packages you'll need are, and
then install them.  The NM web page has some starter tips for checking
out and building the NM source code:

http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/

The ./autogen.sh script will alert you to missing build requirements.
Note that the git 'head' branch requires ModemManager for 3G
connections, if you want the current 0.7.x branch I can tell you how to
switch to that as well.  Let me know how the checkout goes, and if you
have any problems with the build!

Dan