Re: Network Manager does not find system wide connections

Hi,

Dan Williams wrote:

> Depends on your point of view; yes, more comments and explanation of
> theory are needed (especially in the public API).  But the processes are
> also quite complex, and a familiarity with GObject and some of the
> technologies used (PolicyKit, GObject, dbus-glib) is assumed.

Well, my point of view is being a Unix/Linux user and admin for about
20 years. And from my point of view it is the wrong way to construct
such important software for basic functions such as network connectivity
in such a complex way that it is impossible to figure out a problem
with a simple strace call.

The problems with the opaque and unpredictable nature of network manager
and the lack of documentation and debugging functions do not qualify
nm as a tool for basic functions of the operating system in my eyes.

> You'll want to start looking in the keyfile's
> system-settings/plugins/keyfile/plugin.c dir_changed() function.  That
> function is called whenever inotify sees new files or changes in the
> config directory.  Does that function get called when the new file
> appears there?  Since the new keyfile appears at all, I assume that
> means the keyfile plugin is loaded (otherwise nothing would get written
> to that directory in the first place).
>
> Eventually this code will be triggered in dir_chagned():
>
> 			/* New */
> 			connection = nm_keyfile_connection_new (name);
> 			if (connection) {
> 				NMConnection *tmp;
> 				NMSettingConnection *s_con;
> 				const char *connection_uuid;
> 				NMKeyfileConnection *found = NULL;

I'll try that later this week. I'm busy today.

> Any chance you could dig down a bit more to see what's going on?  Even
> just setting a breakpoint on dir_changed() would be useful to ensure
> it's getting triggered when a new keyfile gets created there.

I'll do that, gimme some time.

regards
Hadmut