Re: adsl connection always connected

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 19:24 -0300, Domingo Becker wrote:
> 2009/7/6 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:
> >
> > Not at the moment, but in an update NM will try harder to keep these
> > sorts of connections up.
> >

> I found that it disconnects when I log out of the session.
> Think of a server where nobody logs in to the gnome session.
> And it should check when the ISP disconnects it automatically.
> My ISP does this disconnection several times a day.
> The update should take this in count.

NetworkManager provides two types of connections: user and system.  User
connections are private to the user (think VPN that uses your user
password, etc) and aren't available unless the user is logged in.
System connections are available to all users and can be used before any
users logs in, or across fast-user-switching, etc.

System connections are provided by the 'nm-system-settings' daemon, and
are stored in various ways based on what plugins you've told the system
settings service to load.  For example, Fedora users use the 'ifcfg-rh'
plugin which will read & write configuration from the standard Fedora
ifcfg network files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

There's also a 'keyfile' plugin that will read/write network
configuration from .ini-style files that live
in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.  That's probably your best
option at the moment.  Look
in /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and see what plugins
you've got defined already, and if you don't have any, put this line
into that file in the [main] section:

plugins=keyfile

then 'killall -TERM nm-system-settings', and run nm-connection-editor.
Create the connection of your choice, then look for the "Available to
all users" checkbox in the lower-left corner of the editor dialog for
the connection.  If you check that box, and hit "Apply", the connection
will be saved as a system connection and it will be available to all
users, and also before any user logs in.