Re: Using a mobile phone via Bluetooth

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 23:52 -0400, Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> Dan Williams wrote:

> >> I notice this solution mentions GSM. Is there any reason this should not
> >> work for a CDMA phone?
> >
> > As long as the phone responds to AT+GCAP with "IS-707" the probe will
> > tag the phone as a CDMA device and you should be able to use it with a
> > CDMA connection like any normal data card or USB-attached CDMA phone.
> > NM shouldn't be confused by the mis-tagged HAL entry in the linked
> > dialup-bluetooth.py because it prefers the probed capabilities over
> > static ones in HAL.
>
> So I actually got this working where an rfcomm1 shows up in the NM
> Plasma Applet (I assume that I'm probably supposed to stop setting up
> rfcomm0 manually with /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf). However, nothing I do
> seems to make it want to actually connect. At first the rfcomm1 shows up
> and claims to be looking for an IP address. Then it fails. It's not
> clear that it ever attempts to dialup via PPP, even though I have a
> connection configured. Is there some way to troubleshoot this?

Sounds like more on the Bluetooth side, of course.  Does your phone do
anything when NM tries to bring the connection up?  Mine usually asks me
whether I want to allow the computer to connect, or it'll show an icon
saying a computer is connected.  In any case, this is exactly why this
method is a hack, and why we want the real solution...