client server live cd

Hi list,

I am not sure this is the right place, so feel free to send me somewhere else...

I am putting together a live cd:
http://dvswitch.alioth.debian.org/wiki/livecd
I need help with "Master/Slave options: (not even close to working)"

The goal is this:
N machines all plugged into a wired LAN that may or may not have DHCP.
 Boot one as Master, boot the rest as Slave (same cd, different
kernel/append boot parameters.)    Master will run a dvswitch server
that listens on all interfaces (0.0.0.0)
The person sitting at Master will then ssh to each slave and run a
dvswitch client that connects to the server running on master.
assuming master's hostname is dvswitch,  I think using avahi, the
slave command is simply:
dvsource-dvgrab --firewire --host local.dvswitch

I am assuming dvswitch is a unique hostname on the LAN.  If it isn't,
it is a safe assumption that someone will know how to deal with it.

What I need to know: how do I figure out how many slaves there are and
how to ssh to them?

I can figure out some scripts that auto run and stuff, but I have a
feeling this is a previously solved problem.

--
Carl K