Re: Dbus dhcp

On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 13:58 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 17:00 +0200, chris sunderhauf net wrote:
> > Hello,
> > how can I tell NetworkManager to get a new ip adress for eth0 via dhcp
> > per dbus?
> > You can also trigger the action I mean by left-clicking on the
> > NetworkManager gnome panel applet and selection "auto eth0".
>
> Is this for something like a captive portal that requires re-DHCP after
> authentication, or...?

No, its because the dhcp server wasn't on yet when the computer started
and was only turned on later via wake-on-lan. And instead of manually
clicking on the NetworkManager applet, it would be more comfortable if
the functionality could be triggered directly by the script doing the
wake-on-lan.

Anyway, I think the specification I need is
http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/spec.html and I
guess I'm looking for the ActivateConnection method. Unfortunately, I
never used dbus before and thus I'm not sure about the parameters the
method expects (the descriptions don't tell me much) and whether it will
do what I'm trying to achieve.

Christoph