Re: Password not exported network-manager-vpnc

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 12:12 -0700, Fletcher Liverance wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using network-manager 7.1 from Debian Sid with network-manager-vpnc. I've noticed that export does not export the user and group password.
>
> From line ~1259 of properties/nm-vpnc.c:
>
> fprintf(f,
>         "[main]\n"
>         "SaveUserPassword=%s\n"
>         "enc_GroupPwd=\n"
>         "UserPassword=\n"
>         "enc_UserPassword=\n"
>
> It looks like it's storing whether the user password is saved or not, then doesn't actually save it. Is there a reason for this or is it just not implemented?

Correct, it doesn't export user or group passwords, maybe due to
security concerns, because the resulting file is going to be readable by
anything that user is running.  The Cisco "encryption" is a joke and
completely decryptable.  I'm not opposed to changing this, but it's not
something to do lightly because your password would be completely in the
clear.  And that's often your login password too.