Re: Mobile broadband and carriers

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 13:26 +0200, Janne Boman wrote:
> Marc Luethi wrote:
> >
> > Try disabling Wireless globally in NM before starting the Mobile
> > Broadband connection.
> >
> > I can't get Mobile Broadband to work either on my Ubuntu 8.10 while any
> > WiFi or LAN connection remains enabled. It results in a very wierd
> > setup, where the default route remains on the wlan0 interface (or eth0,
> > for that matter...).
> >
> > ~$ route -n
> > Kernel IP routing table
> > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric  Iface
> > 10.6.6.6        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0       ppp0
> > 172.20.124.0	0.0.0.0		255.255.255.0	U     2	      wlan0
> > 169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     1000    ppp0
> > 0.0.0.0         172.20.124.1    0.0.0.0         UG    0       wlan0
> >

> > Yet, the Mobile ISP's DNS servers take precedence over the WLAN ones:
> >
> > marc torch:~$ more /etc/resolv.conf
> > # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> > resolvconf(8)
> > #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> > nameserver 138.188.101.186
> > nameserver 138.188.101.189
> > nameserver 172.20.124.1
> >

> > This can't work, really - what if the Mobile ISP assigns DNS addresses
> > that are not routeable via the WLAN network?
> >

> > regards
> >
> > Marc

> Now I've got something, here is the relevant part from
> /var/log/daemon.log after disabling wlan & plugging phone:

Which exact version of NetworkManager are you using?  It looks like
NetworkManager cannot properly initialize the phone to be able to check
for a PIN.  This could be due to the older version of NM that Ubuntu
ships, we've done some work in NetworkManager since that version
(including the actual 0.7.0 release) that fixes that issue for many
devices (by trying alternate init commands).  Trying the latest NM from
the PPA might help to isolate that issue.

If the latest Ubuntu bits fail, then open a Terminal, become root, stop
the NetworkManager service, and execute the following command:

NM_SERIAL_DEBUG=1 NetworkManager --no-daemon

then wait about 10 seconds, and try your 3G connection.  Grab the output
that NM spits out into the terminal, and paste it into a reply to this
message.

Thanks!