NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an 802.1x secured wireless network. Filling in the blanks in the standard NetworkManager isn't getting me connected, so I might need more configuration parameters than are exposed in the GUI. Is there a way to modify the wpa_supplicant.conf that is being used under the covers? Also is there a way to get more detailed debugging information (-dd) to try and see where it is going wrong? I've spent some time poking around and haven't been able to find this yet. I am running Ubuntu 8.10.

Thanks,
Harold