Re: dell 5520 not working on nm

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 19:49 +0100, Alexander Sack wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 12:37:35PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 18:04 +0100, julien bresciani wrote:
> > > Hi , I own a dell D420, and the integrated wwan 3G card doesnt work with
> > > network manager 0.7 (ubuntu 8.10)
> > > the device works flawlessly with wvdial script.
> >
> > This is an F3507g and isn't supported by stock NetworkManager yet, but
> > should be supported in the future after the ModemManager merge where we
> > can reliably handle odd hardware.
>
> Debian ships patch for f3507g; can you take a look?
>
>   http://patch-tracking.debian.net/patch/series/view/network-manager/0.7.0-1/03-F3507g.patch

Yeah, that's nice and all, but the modem doesn't seem to provide an easy
way to turn off all the unsolicited messages that it sends out.  Hence,
we will need to use ModemManager here instead.  Somebody said that *one*
of the TTYs doesn't send the unsolicited messages, or that maybe you
could issue an AT command to switch the current TTY into the port mode
that didn't send them, but so far I haven't seen that command...