GNOME-NetworkManager fails to recognise WLAN Interface

Hi all,

We are integrating Wireless LAN driver with GNOME on a customer proprietary board.

The issue we are facing is that our network interface (WLAN) does not appear in the GNOME-NetworkManager Applet.

We need to identify, configure and connect to various network interfaces available in the system - in particular, the WLAN interface.
However the GNOME-NetworkManager (version 0.7) fails to recognise the available network interfaces.
As a result, when we click on the nw interfaces icon on the top right corner of the screen, the nw Interfaces are not being shown.
As soon as the NetworkManager applet comes up during the boot, we get the following warning,

** (nm-applet:2760): WARNING **: No connections defined
** (nm-applet:2760): WARNING **: No networks found in the configuration database
Meanwhile, when we try running the command 'ifconfig', it shows all the available NW Interfaces including the WLAN interface.
We are even able to configure, connect and browse the web (using both wget and web2) using the Command Line Interface. So we are sure that the available wireless NW Interface is working properly. With this, we even rule out the possibility of wpa_supplicant being the source of the problem.

Few of the things we have tried so far
1) Changed the /etc/network/interface to include our WLAN interface.
2) Made the WLAN interface up before even the NetworkManager applet is started.
3) Restarted the NetworkManager applet to force it to refresh the nw interface list.
4) Restarted the default wpa_supplicant to see if it helps the matter.

We want to know if we are missing some sort of configuration in any init scripts which feeds the NetworkManager as to where to pick up the NW interfaces from.

If anybody has worked on the GNOME-Network Manager earlier or has a clue about this, kindly share with us.

thanks,
pradeep.